Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Eventually pain passes...

Is it really only Wednesday??? Why is it that the weekdays get longer the more you look forward to the weekend?
This morning I was deliberate in my attempt to eliminate intervals on my run, which was great for keeping me at a "moderately challenging" pace. The weather was perfect for running...
I wanted to push myself more, but I kept having these nagging thoughts about my knee since I wasn't wearing my knee brace....
"Suppose you put too much pressure on it?"
"What if you land wrong and strain/sprain it?"
"What if you trip over something and fall down?"


The nagging thoughts were annoying but not as annoying as my willingness to give in to them. I found myself trying to go a little faster and pushing myself a little more, only to slow down again out of fear. I'm really going to need to find a way to overcome these mental blocks if I'm going to get anywhere with my training...

I got through the run and in general the pace isn't terrible, it's just not what I was hoping for...

I tested out the timer feature on my phone again for my post run pics...
(with temps at 52 degrees the gloves and jacket were a necessity for me)

I was really looking forward to my Chi Running class which was supposed to start tomorrow. Unfortunately not enough people registered so when I opened up my email this afternoon I was greeted with this...
I guess it's a blessing in disguise because it will eventually be rescheduled to a date that will allow for longer periods of day light in the evening and hopefully to a time period when my schedule is less hectic. 

It's so easy to get "over booked", especially during the week when you have to juggle family, work, training etc. It's even worse for me because I tend to forget things if I don't put them in my calendar or set an alarm to remind me. Being the nice person that I am, I help my baby sister with setting calendar reminders for things that I think are important as well. For example, last year I put a weekly calendar reminder in her phone to send me a message every Wednesday at 11am to tell me that she loves me...
(she's actually more excited about her wedding than she is about seeing me, but I'll let that slide...)

I did a 2 minute wall sit today! It's a long way from the 5 minutes I used to do, but better than nothing...
I'm trying to improve my overall body strength and am going to slooooowly start incorporating more and more strength training workouts into my training routine. Tomorrow I'm planning on going to the gym to do a short cardio session and some light weights (and maybe finish with some more cardio?). It's a cross training day so I really should be swimming but, once again, the temps will be in the low 50s and I'm not going to go through being cold and wet twice in one week (yes, I realize that's a bit spoilt, but no I don't care).

Trying to plan my training for the rest of the year has been tough recently. There is always the occasional last minute schedule change because of a work thing or some other event that pops up, but today at work I became aware of a potential "major meeting" that is tentatively scheduled for "some time in October". Seriously?! I'm not quite sure what the rest of the world is going to be doing, but the only "major" event in my life in October is the Chicago Marathon! 
After training for it for so long and having to defer last year because of an injury, I am determined to run Chicago this year!

Anybody racing this weekend for Valentines Day?

How is your training going so far this week?

If you're running a Fall Marathon, when are you starting your training? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!